Tuesday, October 28, 2008

reflective letter (portfolio 4th grade)

Dear Lemony Snicket,
Remember that series you wrote, “The Unfortunate Events?” I just wanted to thank you for writing that series. You used adverbs and phrases and you gave examples and descriptions that made me cry. But I still couldn’t take my eyes off the words!
One of the parts that helped me learn about writing from the stories in the series was when you used adjectives and phrases for descriptions that made me think and picture what was going on in the book. Now I use adjectives or phrases, to add details, description, and examples to let my reader have pictures in theirs minds.
Another part that helped me was when you would make me cry because of a sad parts in the stories. For example in the fourth book in the lumber mill, the worker Mr.Flucatono almost killed the boss’s partner “Charles” and in the first book the Baudlaires parents died. I’m sure that when I read the whole series I’ll understand more. These books showed me that when I write, I should have different emotional moments.
When I read all the books in the series I won’t be able to take my eyes off the pages, I can’t stop picturing the pictures in my mind. Like when Count Olaf was taking the Baudlares to Peru all I could think about was “I hope they run into Mr. Poe” and they did.
Your series taught reading, and is enjoyable to read. You can learn from it too! Reading is a key that unlocks the door to learning.
Well, thank you for writing that series I’ve really improved in writing and I’ve become a better reader. How can writers not learn from reading a series this brilliant!
I hope you keep writing more books so I can keep learning from them and Count Olaf’s evil schemes. I’m so glad that you became a writer.

No comments: