Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Sad Nightmare (portfolio 4th grade)

It was December 4, 2005. The moon was full and shining like a spotlight from the sky. The wind was howling like coyotes through the trees and it was warmer outside by the barn than it was in my heart.
My beautiful pony Fancy was ill. Fancy is brown and white with a long white mane and tail. She somewhat looks like an Indian pony you might see in an old western movie. My dad went to check on her in the barn. He stopped walking “oh no” he thought as he stood looking at how she had gotten from her stall to the middle of the barn. She was lying motionless almost dead. He immediately ran to close the barn door and then he came inside and sat by the fire. As soon as he came in I knew by the look on his face that something was terribly wrong.
“ Can I go see her?” I asked.
“ Yes” he said cautiously. My dad gave my mom and sister a look that said, “come on lets go” and together we walked to the barn. Dad picked me up as we walked to see Fancy. As we got close to the door he let me down and I darted to the barn door.
“Can I see her?” I asked.
“Sure” my father said.
I opened the barn doors and there was Fancy surrounded by hay. She was lying on the barn floor clinging to life. Fancy tried to get up but she just couldn’t. I could tell by the look in her eyes that she wanted to greet me like she always did. I also saw a lot of fight in her eyes.
“I’m cold”, my sister complained.
“Okay, lets go in so you don’t get a cold.” My mother said as she started walking back to the house.
Before we left, I waved a miniature wave like a baby would as tears filled my eyes. Fancy raise her head up and down. This was her way of saying goodbye little did I know it would be her last goodbye.
We were all welcomed back inside by our dog, cat and a warm fire. Mom sat down and started knitting because she was nervous and it took her mind off the lovely fancy. My sister and my father just silently sat by the fire. I just sat into the recliner slowly rocking it back and forth thinking about great memories with Fancy.
“Are you okay?” my father mumered.
“She was perfect,” I began to cry.
“Aw, baby.” my mother said and we both started crying.
I put my hands together and prayed as tears raced down my cheeks, “Dear God, why did you have to take her away now?” I soon cried myself to sleep and mom carried me upstairs to my room. That night I had a dream of thousands of horses running wild and free. Fancy was there with me just like the good ole days.
Everybody knows that death cannot be avoided but it still doesn’t make it any easier to deal with.

No comments: